Monday, February 16, 2015

Wishful Thinking




First blog post.  I got the name from the ridiculously unnecessary remake of the classic whacked-out UK film The Wicker Man.  It very much epitomizes the case of "so bad it's good," as it has been elevated into the stratosphere by Nicolas Cage's insane performance.  But what isn't, these days?





Why "Not The Bs!"?  Well, I love B movies.  Always have.  From Hong Kong action flicks to Japanese samurai and gangster pics to sleazy Italian sci-fi knock offs and spaghetti westerns to American slashers and monster movies.  This was conditioned into my mind at a young age, when my folks would regularly "spin discs" at the house.  I'm talking about Laser Discs, those cumbersome, record-sized CDs that held the entirety of a movie on 3 or 4 sides of 2 discs.  Hey man, that shit was futuristic back then.



As my cinematic knowledge has grown throughout the years and my love of the mainstream has dwindled, I find myself being consistently entertained by B Movies.  And so should you.  Beyond all the fake blood, sub-par effects, stilted acting, cheap sets, and gratuitous nudity, there is usually a huge amount of heart and a "for love of the game" spirit that is so sorely lacking in today's cinematic landscape.  So buckle up and enjoy the ride, because you may learn something.  Or, more probably, no one will ever read this.


No comments:

Post a Comment